Stepping Out of the Boat
Unity Series — Stepping Out of the Boat
A reflection on faith, fear, and Father God’s unifying work in our lives.
There are moments in Scripture that don’t just teach us—they meet us. They step into our present life and reveal where we stand, where we fear, and where Father God is calling us next. This reflection brings together Peter’s trembling steps on the water and Elijah’s unwavering stand on Mount Carmel, showing how unity with God strengthens faith in every season.
Walking on the Water — Matthew 14:22–33
Peter’s moment of courage, fear, and rescue.
There is a moment in Peter’s life that feels uncomfortably familiar to anyone who has ever tried to follow Jesus with trembling hands. Peter steps out of the boat—full of courage, full of faith—and for a few miraculous seconds, he actually walks on the water. But then the wind rises, fear rises with it, and he begins to sink.
I’ve been thinking about that moment, not as a distant story, but as a mirror. There have been seasons in my life where I finally had enough faith to step out of the boat… only to grab the gunwale again the moment the waves looked too big. Other times I stepped out boldly, only to sink just as quickly when fear whispered its familiar doubts.
Today, I know I’m out of the boat. But I also know I’m not all the way to Jesus yet. My faith is growing—slowly, steadily, through every trial Father God walks me through. Each test becomes a strengthening. Each storm becomes a lesson. Each rescue becomes a reminder that Jesus’ hand is always closer than the waves.
And when I think about faith, I think about Elijah.
Elijah’s Faith — 1 Kings 18:1–39
Standing alone on Mount Carmel with unwavering trust.
Elijah’s story is one of the clearest pictures of unwavering faith in all of Scripture. When the Lord told him to appear before Ahab—a king who had been hunting him to kill him—Elijah obeyed. That alone is remarkable. Obedience in the face of danger is not natural faith; it is supernatural trust.
Then Elijah stood alone on Mount Carmel, facing hundreds of prophets of Baal. He wasn’t just outnumbered. He was outmatched in every earthly sense. But he wasn’t standing in his own strength. He was standing in the unity of God’s purpose.
Elijah rebuilt the Lord’s altar. He drenched the sacrifice with water—three times. He prayed a simple prayer, not a dramatic one:
“Answer me, Lord, so that this people will know that you are the real God and that you can change their hearts.”
And God answered with fire—consuming fire. Fire that burned the sacrifice, the wood, the stones, the dust, and even the water in the trench.
Elijah’s faith didn’t create the fire. His obedience positioned him to witness it.
Where Unity Meets Faith
Faith grows as we walk toward Jesus, step by step.
Peter’s moment on the water and Elijah’s moment on the mountain share the same heartbeat: Unity with Father God produces courage that fear cannot erase.
Peter walked because Jesus called him. Elijah stood because God sent him. Neither acted alone. Neither acted from human strength. Both acted from unity—alignment with God’s voice, God’s purpose, and God’s presence.
And that is where I find myself today. Not perfect. Not fearless. Not fully across the water. But out of the boat. Moving toward Jesus. Growing in faith each time Father God leads me through something that tests me, shapes me, and strengthens me.
If I ever reach the kind of faith Elijah had, I imagine that will be as close to Jesus as a person can get in this life. But even if I never reach that level, I know this:
Every step toward Jesus is a step into unity.
Every test is an invitation to trust.
Every storm is a classroom.
Every rescue is a reminder.
And Jesus still says, “Be encouraged. It’s Me. Don’t be afraid.”
Closing Prayer
A prayer for growing faith and deeper unity with Father God.
Father God, thank You for calling me out of the boat and into deeper trust with You. Strengthen my faith when the winds rise and fear tries to pull me under. Teach me to walk toward Jesus with steady steps, eyes fixed on Your presence. Shape my heart like Elijah’s—bold, obedient, and aligned with Your purpose. Unite my spirit with Yours so that every storm becomes a lesson, every test becomes growth, and every rescue becomes a reminder of Your unfailing love. Amen.