"Once Saved Always Saved" is wrong
I’ve been reluctant to say this for a long time, but the Lord has made it clear to me: the mindset of “Once Saved Always Saved” is wrong and spiritually dangerous. Not long ago, hearing someone say that would have upset me too. It took a great deal of convincing from the Lord to bring me to this point.
This was one of the main reasons I felt led to start this blog. In many ways, I consider it the Lord’s blog. Everything I’ve posted so far has come from what He has shown me in His Word. I don’t always understand it fully at first, but each day He gives me more clarity.
As I look back, I can see how He has been preparing me for this message for years. Two weekends before I began the blog, He brought together everything He had shown me. I thought I was supposed to share it at a church reunion of pastors, missionaries, and members from the church where I first accepted Christ. Everyone there believed “Once Saved Always Saved,” and I feared how big of a statement it would be. The opportunity never came, and afterward the Lord put it in my heart to begin writing immediately.
He led me to Revelation, where Jesus speaks to the angels of the seven churches. Even though He names specific churches, His words apply to us today. He stirred my desire to understand the Nicolaitans — their deeds and teachings — because He says He hates what they do. Like the scribes and Pharisees, they represent leaders who twist Scripture and mislead their flock. Some do it knowingly; many do it because it’s what they were taught. This is why it is so important to study Scripture ourselves and learn directly from God. I believe the mindset of “Once Saved Always Saved” is part of that false teaching.
Because Christ loves us and desires that all enter His Kingdom, He is correcting false teachings before He comes to judge. I am sure I am only one of many He is using in this work.
I almost didn’t post this originally. I listened to man instead of following the Lord’s direction. Please forgive me, Lord. This message is for me too.
The Lord also led me to a website that explained far better than I could why “Once Saved Always Saved” is dangerous. It helped me understand Greek verb tenses — how some words like “believe” are written in a continuous form, meaning believe continually. It reminded me how valuable it is to read Scripture as close to the original text as possible.
About three years ago, I asked God to make me a tool in His work. Since then, I’ve seen Him use me many times. Sometimes He prepares me ahead of time; sometimes He moves quickly. It amazes me to watch Him work. His Word is true: “My thoughts are not your thoughts.” (Isaiah 55:8)
God gives us opportunities to join Him in His work. We can choose to act or pass them by. When we act, we experience His truths. The book of James describes this well.
If you ever feel a strong pull toward something good, do it. Don’t debate. God knows I struggle with this, but I trust He will help me grow. Remember, you act through the strength of Christ in you. And yes, attacks from Satan increase — but God is near. He will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear (1 Cor. 10:13).
When you talk with God, it doesn’t have to be out loud. He knows your thoughts. He knows you better than you know yourself. This is what He will judge on the last day — the inner being, not what the world sees.
I’ll end with Scriptures that feel appropriate for this message.
Hebrews 3:12–14 (NASB)
Take care, brethren, that there not be in any one of you an evil, unbelieving heart that falls away from the living God.
But encourage one another day after day, as long as it is still called “Today,” so that none of you will be hardened by the deceitfulness of sin.
For we have become partakers of Christ, if we hold fast the beginning of our assurance firm until the end.
Revelation 3:5 (NASB)
He who overcomes will thus be clothed in white garments; and I will not erase his name from the book of life, and I will confess his name before My Father and before His angels.