Thursday, June 9, 2011

Be Like Paul

I've been studying the Bible for a while now and have asked God to teach me Himself. I don't want to learn through commentaries, or hand books, or any other books, or even through people. I want to learn His truths from Him; by the way, I ran across a passage that said that there is but one teacher, Christ Jesus. I ask Him many questions. He has taught me much but I've come to realize that His teaching is a life long process.

I guess the reason why I mention this is because I've come to understand Paul and the race he talks about and fighting the good fight.

Jesus said this; John 13:34 "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another." 35 "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another." and in John 14:15 He says, "If you love Me, you will keep My commandments."


Paul came to realize that if he was to have the same kind of love for all men as Christ has for us, it would take some hard work and a real commitment; a new mindset; just as it would be if we suddenly decided to enter and win the marathon. The good news is that we have Christ and the Holy Spirit to help us. They will never leave us or forsake us in our quest to become holy; to be like Jesus, minus His deity of course. The bad news is, because God gave us a free will, we can choose to quit the race, to give up.

This is what Paul meant about fighting the good fight. We still have our sinful flesh and Satan to deal with. This is why it is so very important to read and study God's word and be in constant communications with Him.

No comments: