Monday, April 8, 2013

What should you believe?

My cousin and I have been getting together for Bible study for quite a while now; once a week if we can. We've been meeting on Mondays lately and since this is Monday, we just finished up a little while ago. We agreed to work in the book of John but we haven't been able to make much progress. Before my vision, the one I explained in my post "My beliefs have changed," we probably would be in great harmony in our beliefs and therefore been able to sail right through John and be done with it, not saying that John is the problem; it's been my sidetracks.

I used to fit into the "Once saved always saved" group, I guess you might say. If you had to fit my cousin into a group, I believe He would agree that he fits this group right now because of his present beliefs.

I hate to try and get into a discussion of trying to define this group because there are variations within this set of beliefs too. I guess, in a nutshell it is a belief that once you are in God's grace, you can't get out of it.

Most faiths are looking to some sort of life or maybe I should say an existence in one of two places after this one is over. Some of us will go to heaven and some will go to hell. Either place is a place that will never end and there is no way out once you get there. It is a matter of our choice, in a manner of speaking, where you go. It will be determined by what you do in this life; how you live it. "God doesn't make robots"; as we so often hear........... I used to believe this too; in two separate places.

The Bible talks about hell being a place of great torment. I used to not like to think about hell much and I certainly didn't want to go there. I had all kinds of visions of this place called hell and none of them good. Even though I could not believe that God of Love could have such a place, I was willing to accept it; to the reasoning of there are just some things beyond my understanding.

Well, because of that vision I spoke of, I now had to deal with this concept of hell, after all my vision put me there in it. At first, I tried to search scriptures and see what others had to say about it. I came to realize that what I was getting from others was just what they believed and when I searched the scriptures, I was seeing different things and getting confused.

Remembering the scripture that says that we have but one teacher, and that is Jesus, I resolved myself to God's word and much prayer. I've had to keep asking Father God to paint the picture of my understanding in my mind clearer. I am the type of person; if I can't picture something in my mind, I can't understand it. Little by little He is painting my picture clearer.

I no longer believe in that place of hell that I used to believe in. I believe it will be the shame I will feel for my unreconciled sin when the veil is lifted and He writes His laws upon my mind and upon my heart. I will either see Jesus taking that punishment of shame in my place or I will have to experience the shame myself.

God has made every effort to keep me from that shame. It is up to me to let Jesus take my punishment or not.

All I've said in this blog are what I believe God has revealed to me. Are they God's truth? I believe they are but doesn't all faiths believe theirs to be the right one. What I can tell you with certainty, is that whatever is in God's plan (His will) that is what will come true.

I believe that God Jesus is the only one who can reveal the truth to you through the work of the Holy Spirit, so please do not just accept these things I've said. Ask God!

I hope some day my cousin and I will again come into agreement in our beliefs. I love him and do so enjoy our talks even if we don't see eye to eye on things. We'll just have to wait upon the Lord; in one way or the another, if you know what I mean.

No comments: