Friday, October 9, 2015

What is Eternal Life?

I was re-reading my last post “More about God's new kingdom” in the Romans chapter 2 part when something caught my eye. It was verse 7 which read, “On the one hand, he will give eternal life to those who look for glory, honor, and immortality based on their patient good work.” The word “immortality” just doesn't seem right to me; does a Christian seek immortality?

I read this passage in “biblegateway.com” in a number of translations and most do have “immortality”. I looked at this passage in my “Ultimate Bible Study Suite; KJV Bible” on my Kindle and here is how it reads; “To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life”. I found that the Greek word translated “immortality” is ““aphtharsia {af-thar-see'-ah}” Definitions: incorruptibility; genitive unending existence; (figurative) genuineness: -immortality, incorruption, sincerity.”

You know, I think there is a great misconception with what eternal life is and this misconception played a part for the interpreters of the original Greek to pick “immortality” instead of one of the other meanings. I have found only one passage in the Bible that tells us what eternal life is and that is in John chapter 17. It is here that Jesus himself tells us.

John 17:1-5Common English Bible (CEB)

Jesus prays

17 When Jesus finished saying these things, he looked up to heaven and said,“Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, so that the Son can glorify you.You gave him authority over everyone so that he could give eternal life to everyone you gave him. This is eternal life: to know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom you sent. I have glorified you on earth by finishing the work you gave me to do. Now, Father, glorify me in your presence with the glory I shared with you before the world was created.

Revelation 19:6-9 Lexham English Bible (LEB)

The Wedding Celebration of the Lamb

6 And I heard something like the sound of a great crowd and something like the sound of many waters and something like the sound of powerful thunder, saying,
Hallelujah!
For the Lord God,[a] the All-Powerful, reigns!
7 Let us rejoice and be glad
    and give him the glory,
because the wedding celebration of the Lamb has come,
and his bride has prepared herself.
8 And it has been granted to her that she be dressed in bright, clean fine linen (for the fine linen is the righteous deeds of the saints).
9 And he said to me, “Write: Blessed are those who are invited to the banquet of the wedding celebration of the Lamb!” And he said to me, “These are the true words of God.” 

No comments: